Getting a great night’s sleep in summer can be a real challenge. The extra warm nights with little fresh air can make it difficult for your little one to get off to sleep and changes in temperature overnight can cause your little cherub to wake. Whilst we’re not at the peak of the summer temperatures yet, we thought this would be the ideal time to post an article with safe summer sleep tips for your little one.
1. Make sure the room is well ventilated. Open windows and the door to allow for plenty of airflow. Use a fan if the room is really hot, but make sure to point it away from baby’s basinet or cot.
2. Close the curtains early in the day so the room is protected from direct sunlight. Black out curtains are great to keep the room dark in the early hours of the evening and early morning to prevent early rising!
3. Placing wet/damp towels in the nursery can help cool the room down.
4. Make sure your baby’s bedtime bath is a little cooler than normal.
5. If you must, use a light rapidly absorbed 100% natural baby body lotion to nurture your little ones skin. A heavy moisturiser might leave babies skin feeling hot and sticky. Alternatively use nothing at night and only use body lotion in the morning.
6. Dress your little one in 100% natural and breathable fibres like (organic) cotton and merino. Polyester will cause your baby to sweat and overheat.
7. If your baby is swaddled look at a zip up swaddle like our Snuggle Pods. They will keep your little one safely swaddled all night long without the risk of over heating. The light weight merino/cotton fabric is super-soft and specially designed for hot summer nights. Traditional (muslin) wraps might come undone or unravell in the middle of the night which can pose a tangling, suffocation and choking hazard to your baby.
8. Sleeping in 'nothing but a nappy’ might make your little one feel ‘unsecure’ which can make it tricky for them to fall asleep and stay asleep – most of us adults sleep with at least a sheet in summer! On top of that temperatures can change during the night and your baby might wake up feeling cold. Our ORGANIC COTTON SUMMER sleep bagOrganic Cotton Summer sleep bags are the perfect solution - they add a light layer that will make your little one feel safe and secure and keep your baby at the right temperature all night long.
9. Make sure to use a room thermometer so you can measure the room temperature at all times and make changes to your babies sleep wear as appropriate.
10. If your baby is red or sweaty than he is too hot and remove a layer of clothing immediately. You can check your baby’s temperature by feeling their back, neck or tummy.
SNUGBAGS are 100% natural, International Award Winning sleeping bags ethically made in New Zealand. More info on www.snugbags.com
Your comment will be posted after it is approved.
Leave a Reply.
Kim is the owner of SNUGBAGS - Merino for Kids. Together with her partner James and their little girl Neeva Rose, she lives in a little beach town called Piha on the West Coast in New Zealand. They love surfing, building sandcastles and all things natural and organic.